Matthew is a Partner who practises in the areas of Commercial and Property Litigation and Local Government within our Commercial Litigation team.
Matthew acts for clients across the following areas:
- interpretation of planning schemes, planning legislation and planning instruments
- development and planning approvals, including rezoning and subdivision
- advising on conditions of planning approvals and scheme amendments
- representation in planning and development appeals to the SAT and superior courts appearances before the WAPC and DAPS land resumption/compensation
Land sale/purchase transactions, including:
- construction, interpretation and enforcement of contract terms and conditions;
- satisfaction/non-satisfaction of finance and other conditions;
- defaults and termination;
- resale and damages claims;
- injunction court applications;
- specific performance court actions; and
- Strata Titles Act compliance.
Commercial and retail leasing, including:
- construction, interpretation and enforcement of lease covenants;
- rent and service charge recoveries and enforcement;
- dilapidation claims;
- rent reviews;
- lease term renewals;
- termination clauses and forfeiture of premises;
- reletting of premises;
- tenant insolvency and administration processes;
- damages claims for loss;
- deed of company arrangement impact; and
- unlawful subletting.
Land use and occupation, including:
- caveats - extension/removal court applications;
- boundary disputes and adverse possession claims;
- easements and restrictive covenants; and
- nuisance and trespass.
- compliance with the provisions of the Local Government Act dealing with business planning, tendering and disposal of property;
- executive functions and powers of local government;
- disclosure of financial interests;
- freedom of information requests and public access to local government information;
- recovery of rates and services charges and rateability of land; and
- amalgamations of, and boundary changes to, local government districts.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Property Council of Australia (WA)